Ayo: A Rain Tale – an atmospheric side-scrolling platformer that addresses the plight of more than 319 million people in sub-Saharan Africa – will be released on Windows and Mac next Thursday, November 9
Get ready to embark on a life-changing journey for clean water in this challenging indie game featuring the beauty and wonder of Sub-Saharan folk tales.
STORY & GAMEPLAY
Ayo: A Rain Tale explores the psychological impact of trekking across the desert to carry water – revealing the struggles of millions of sub-Saharan African women and girls. Players take on the role of Ayo, a young girl who is about to leave home alone for the first time to gather water for her family. To do this, Ayo must face the harsh conditions of the Sahelian droughts and overcome her fears without falling victim to her own mind …
After encountering a sudden sandstorm, Ayo loses her path and is lost in the desert. Fortunately, she meets the Asili Twins – who join Ayo on her search for water and provide help along the way. As she continues to travel, the world around Ayo begins to look mysterious and magical – as if she’s been transported to a new land.
The desert is a dangerous place, and you will face many hardships. Crawl, climb, and jump your way through the Sub-Saharan lands as you solve puzzles, avoid dangerous hazards, and discover hidden paths during the scorching days and lonesome nights. Escape from crashing boulders, time your jumps perfectly with moving platforms, and challenge ruthless enemies – all culminating in a climactic encounter with Ja Thunderstorm, a large bull who wants to keep all the water for himself!
If you survive, you must face a harsh reminder of the world we live in during your trek back home, which is grounded in reality.
* Explore Sub-Saharan lands by crawling, climbing, and double-jumping.
* Experience day and night cycles on your journey.
* Solve puzzles and push through boulders to advance.
* Withstand the harsh desert heat and fight for strength and emotional balance.
* Face challenging enemies and confront Ja Thunderstorm!
* Discover hidden paths and avoid natural hazards.
PRICING & AVAILABILITY
Ayo: A Rain Tale will be available on the Mac App Store and Steam (Windows/Mac) November 9 for $6.99 (30% off) – returning to its original price of $9.99 on November 16.
SOME STATISTICS ABOUT THE SUB-SAHARAN WATER CRISIS
* 783 million people do not have access to clean and safe water worldwide.
* 319 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa are without access to improved, reliable, drinking water sources
* 1 in 9 people worldwide do not have access to safe and clean drinking water.
* Women and girls are responsible for water collection in seven out of ten households in 45 developing countries.
WHO/UNICEF JMP for Water Supply & Sanitation
World Health Organization (WHO)