Being a website dedicated to helping students, and its the time of year students are working hard to pass exams and such, so we thought this might be helpful to students pursuing the BS in engineering or similar courses.
API 580 is a famous exam that certifies people in the petrochemical industry. Many students pursuing the BS in engineering or similar courses especially in the petrochemical field are aware of this certification. If not, then don’t worry, we will include everything in our article that will inform you about:
- Its certifications
- The API 580 exam itself
- Its eligibility criteria
- How can you prepare for it?
What Is API?
API stands for American Petroleum Institute which represents all the dimensions of the oil and natural gas industry. It supports 10.3 million US jobs and 8% of the US economy. Everything that happens in the oil world in the US is monitored and laid down by API. They establish standards for the world-wide oil and natural gas industries. They look after the oil and natural gas transportation systems. It is their duty to look after the consumers’ needs and give them the best services that are reliable and safe. In simple terms, it is the largest US trade association for the OIL & Natural gas industry with more than 600 corporations involved in production and distribution of the services provided by these industries.
What Are API Certifications?
API certifies individuals by setting a minimum qualification for them. One who is API certifies becomes certified personnel to work for the industries. There are a range of certifications provided by API for which the individual must take an exam. API certified individuals are recognized worldwide
What Is API 580 Exam?
API 580 practice test for preparing for the risk-based inspection certification that tests the candidate’s knowledge in the field of Risk Based Inspection. Risk Based Inspection is a process which is used to examine and verify equipment found in petroleum industries like heat exchangers, pressure vessels, and piping. The main objective of Risk based inspection is to select cost effective and relevant maintenance tasks and techniques currently in use. Anybody in the world can take up this exam and as per our knowledge it will be a computer-based testing i.e. you will be taking the test without the use of pen and paper.
So, now you know what all these are let us hop on to the other details related to the exam:
Who Can Take the API 580 Exam?
- According to the API’s official website, if you have already been certified with API 510, 570 or 653 certifications, you are already eligible to take the API Risk Based Inspection certification exam.
- If you do not hold any of the certifications, then your eligibility will be based on your industry experience and educational level within the last 10 years.
- You need to have any of the following minimum experience:
- You should hold at least a BS in engineering or technology.
- A two-year degree or certificate in engineering or technology might suffice with at least a 2-year experience in petrochemical industry.
- If you have only cleared high school or have a diploma, then you will need 3 years of experience in petrochemical industry.
- For people with no formal education 5 or more years of experience is needed in the petrochemical industry.
For the categories mentioned above you can be in any field in the petrochemical industry for passing out the exam’s eligibility criteria.
A Little More Info About The API 580 Exam
- The duration of the exam is 3 hours and 25 minutes.
- It will be a Computer Based test
- You will get 70 questions, all of which will be multiple choice questions.
- It is a closed book exam; no reference materials will be allowed in the exam hall.
- Passing percentage has been set to be 70% that means you will need 49 correct answers otherwise you will fill.
How to Apply For The Exam?
First of all, make sure that you are eligible for the exam. If you are eligible then register yourself for the individual certificate programs by creating an account from the ICP portal. You should be ready with all the details when filling the form. You will have to provide employer information for your employment details and experience. The processing of the application can take up to six weeks. Make sure that your application is fully complete before and after the exam.
After applying for the exam, you will get an exam authorization email from American Petroleum Institute if your application is approved. You will get an eligibility id(which will be asked in Prometric’s site) and instructions on how to schedule your exam. You can schedule it as per your convenience.
How to Prepare For The Exam?
You can prepare for the API 580 exam on your own. You can join online courses and spend enough time in solving the questions. Most people fail to qualify because they do not spend time in preparing for the exam. API 580 practice exam can help you test the waters and get comfortable for the main exam. You can get relevant materials by googling them. We have mentioned three for a start right below. You can also search for some books in the market.
Reasons of API 580 Popularity
Risk Based Inspection has become a dominant methodology to optimize equipment inspections. If RBI is done properly and correctly it can reduce the number of times the inspection takes place and ensure that the risk is held and minimized. The job is not a cup of cake and therefore some of the formal certifications are necessary that make an individual confident in taking decisions. API 580 is that one certification exam that tests the individual’s knowledge and skills in the area. All over the world the main corporations have adopted this certification standard for the selection purpose.
If you still didn’t get what you were searching for, you can visit American Petroleum Institute’s official site for more information on the certifications. There are plenty of them and out of which one is API 580 for RBI.