The NOW TV Esports Industry Awards celebrates outstanding achievements within Esports in 2017.
Last night saw guests from the world of gaming, entertainment and sport come together to celebrate the second annual NOW TV Esports Industry Awards. With over 600,000 votes cast in total this year, the awards recognise outstanding achievements in Esports over the last year, in an industry that continues to grow in strength and appeal.
A stellar quartet of hosting talent – Julia Hardy, Nicki Shields, OJ Borg and Adam Savage presented the winners with their well-deserved awards. Leading the field were winners Megan “RheingoldRiver” Cutrofello as Unsung Hero of the Year, and Belgian television presenter, reporter, Esports player Eefje “Sjokz” Depoortere as Personality of the Year. A shining achievement for both, and the first women to scoop NOW TV Esports Industry Awards.
Spencer “Gorilla” Ealing emerged victorious as NOW TV Esports player of the year in association with L’Oreal Men Expert. He is currently also Fifa World champion; the first UK player to take the crown since 2005.
Here’s a full breakdown of the awards and winners:
- Esports Breakthrough Game of the Year – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Esports Commercial Partner of the Year in association with Gamesindustry.biz – G-FUEL
- Esports Coverage Website of the Year in association with Sizzle – ESPN Esports
- Esports Game of the Year in association with Twitch – Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Esports Journalist of the Year – Duncan “Thorin” Shields
- Esports Photographer of the Year in association with Snugg – Joe Brady
- Esports Publisher of the Year – Riot Games
- Esports Hardware Provider of the Year – Intel
- Esports Videographer of the Year – Davis ”OpTic Hitch” Edwards
- Streamer of the Year – Dr.Disrespect
- Streaming Platform of the Year – Twitch
- Esports Broadcaster of the Year – Alex ‘Machine’ Richardson
- Esports Console Player of the Year in association with Scuf Gaming – Matthew ‘FormaL’ Piper
- Esports Live Event of the Year in association with Thomas Lyte – League of Legends World Championship (RIOT)
- Esports PC Player of the Year – Amer ‘Miracle-‘ Barqawi
- Esports Personality of the Year in association with NOW TV – Eefje ‘Sjokz’ Depoortere
- Esports Rookie of the Year (Console) in association with Simba – Victor ‘Punk’ Woodley
- Esports Rookie of the Year (PC) in association with Simba – Abay ‘HObbit’ Khassenov
- Esports Team of the Year – OpTic Gaming
- Esports Unsung Hero of the Year – Megan “RheingoldRiver” Cutrofello
- UK Esports Player of the Year in association with L’Oreal Men Expert – Spencer “Gorilla” Ealing
- Esports Play of the Year – Matthew ‘FormaL’ Piper
David Turner, Retail Marketing Controller at headline partner NOW TV, commented: “Last night was more than just a recognition of those who have made major contributions to the world of Esports; it demonstrated the passion and dedication that all those involved in the sector have and why Esports will continue its meteoric growth and appeal.”
Tom Mercey, Director and Co-Founder of the EIA said: “Global recognition and awareness of Esports has absolutely exploded over the last twelve months and that has been reflected in the amazing support we’ve had for our awards this year.” He went on to add “We created the awards to celebrate everyone who contributes to making Esports such a global phenomenon and we’re thrilled to have been joined by so many leading lights of the industry this year as well as celebrities from the world of music, film and TV”