- Games room specialist polled 1,500 people to find out the future of retro gaming
- Candy Crush, Angry Birds, and Snake will be the retro games of the future
- Nearly three-quarters of Britons want their own arcade machine at home
Original research from games room specialist Liberty Games reveals that Candy Crush, Angry Birds and Snake are set to replace Pacman, Super Mario, and Lemmings as the retro games of the future.
The firm polled 1,500 Britons to canvass the nation’s views on what gaming will look like in the years to come, as well as asking whether people would rather own their own arcade machine or go out to their local arcade instead.
The research, presented in this blog post and infographic, shows that the most popular retro games of the future are set to be app-based, in a clear sign of the shift towards mobile devices for playing games:
- Candy Crush – 51%
- Angry Birds – 39%
- Snake – 20%
- Pokemon go – 17%
- Other – 18% (Including Clash Of Clans, Tetris, and The Simpsons games)
What’s more, while in the past gamers might head down to their local arcade to play, today the games room is a much more popular trend:
- 74% of people want an arcade machine at home
- Just 26% of people would rather play at an arcade
“Gaming has changed significantly since the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System,” said Stuart Kerr Technical Director at Liberty Games.
“Today, we have smartphones which have become integral to our lives. As well as keeping in touch with people, reading the news and sending emails, we play games on them, usually through an app.
“And while in yesteryear we’d head to our local arcade, today home games are popular, too – who hasn’t dreamed of having their own games room complete with pool tables and arcade machines?”