New Update: Strange New Powers!
Greetings and salutations fellow champions of science! Our latest update is live and brings some rather fantastic changes to Don’t Starve. Along with snappy new character special powers, we’ve also introduced a new character that many have been asking for… Woodie, the lumberjack!
We also created a very special trailer with all new animation sequences for your viewing pleasure. You may watch it it by clicking the image above or the link right…
Read onward for details on these new changes. If you’re looking for a place to discuss these new improvements, we have just such a thing! Head over to our post in the Don’t Starve forum.
“What about an update poster?!” you say?
Well we have one of those too, and it’s magnificent! It’s also very huge… So here is a teensie-weensie sample version. If you click on it, it will grow to a monstrous size using the powers of the internet!
Major Update Notes:
Woodie the Lumberjack!
He’s a fun-loving Canadian who spends too much time in the woods. His axe talks to him, and he has a terrible curse.
New special powers for the unlockable characters:
- Gets a sanity bonus from being near fire
- Impervious to fire damage (and probably heat when that becomes a Thing)
- Gets a unique lighter that acts as an infinite torch with a very small radius
- Has a lower max sanity
- Lights fires at random when her sanity is low
- Can eat spoiled food with no penalty
- Starts with very low stats, but can upgrade himself by eating gears.
- Takes damage in the rain, but creates light from the sparks
- Can get hit by lightning, causing a system overload that makes him run faster and glow in the dark
- Has pathetic, low stats
- Can make balloon animals
- Has a large stomach
- Faster sanity drain in the dark and near scary things
- Gets damage and health bonuses when his belly is full (and penalties when it is empty!)
- Lower combat damage
- Less afraid of the dark and monsters.
- Carries around abigail’s flower. When it is charged (it takes a couple of days), a blood sacrifice will summon Abigail!
- Abigail is a lot more useful now, and will last until she falls in battle
- Gets a bonus tech level
- Has a high max sanity
- Can craft books that can be read to cast powerful magic spells
- Insomniac – can not sleep
- Picky eater – higher penalties for spoiled food
Splumonkeys: Cave-dwelling monkeys that just want to cause you trouble. Nothing is safe from their pestering!
Pengulls: Mostly harmless penguinoids who leap from the ocean in the winter to form rookeries. Be careful if you disrupt their migration!
We added a new tab for gem-based items, and added amulets and staffs for all of the existing colours. Watch this space for more mind-bending magic in future updates!
- Red amulet – resurrects as before, but also converts hunger into health
- Blue amulet – harness the power of cold!
- Purple amulet – Dare to gaze upon the terrifying nightmare world.
- Purple staff – Warp space and time with teleportation!
Improved Mod Support:
There is a new mod configuration screen that lets you activate/deactivate mods from within the game. Check out the modding forum for details!
For other important changes for modders, check this thread.
If you’re looking for general update discussion, head over to our main thread.
Soundtrack Updating Coming Soon
What’s in the soundtrack you ask?
Original instrumental music composed and arranged by Vince de Vera and Jason Garner, this soundtrack DLC has 10 tracks of game music and more presented in magnificent high-quality FLAC and MP3 formats. If you pick up a copy you’ll get new tracks as they are released in the game!