Super Metroid and Monkey Island inspired episodic game “The Fall” reached its Kickstarter funding goal in just under a week last September, and after being Greenlit on Steam, developer Over The Moon is proud to announce the release date for episode 1 to be May 30th, 2014. Over The Moon’s John Warner is excited to see the game’s reception.
“I’ve wanted to make a game like this for as long as I can remember, but I never knew how to make it happen” says John. “Thanks to Kickstarter, we were finally able to not just create The Fall, but to really push it in interesting directions. We’ve got a really unique story with some engaging ideas, some very compelling gameplay, a beautiful world to explore, and a fantastic cast of professional actors, with a strong female lead. The Fall has become the game I’ve always wanted to play, but couldn’t find.”
Set in a dark, distant sci-fi universe, The Fall is about ARID, an artificial intelligence on-board a futuristic combat suit. One day, she is activated to find that the human pilot of the suit is unconscious and in desperate need of medical help. ARID’s directive is clear – take her pilot towards medical attention. However, as she struggles to take control of the suit and help her non-responsive friend, she finds herself in a unique and bizarre situation that will cause her to question her rigid relationship to her various protocols and ultimately her self understanding. The Fall is a unique blend of traditional adventure game puzzles and action, mixed together nicely and set in a world rich with atmosphere. Players of The Fall will find themselves, thinking, exploring, and sometimes fighting with the world and its unusual inhabitants.
Over The Moon’s John Warner has always wanted to create atmospheric games that are a little different, and thanks to The Fall’s Kickstarter success in October of 2013, he got his chance. John has been working hard on the project since then, and is proud to have made good on the promises he made his Kickstarter backers. The Fall has matured into an plesantly unusual game with a lot of fantastic features:
- An excellent story – Set in a rich, atmospheric world, that explores interesting ideas surrounding rigidity and protocol.
- A fresh mix of genres – The Fall integrates point and click adventure games, platformers, and shooters into a very unique experience. Drawing equal inspiration from games like Super Metroid and Monkey Island, The Fall is humbly inspired by the greats that came before it.
- Gameplay and story integration – Players solve fun and creative adventure-style puzzles, and organically find solutions that imply a larger narrative.
- A full voice cast – With a unique female protagonist.
- Gorgeous artwork – The Fall’s focus is on atmosphere and exploration, and boats a beautifully polished world to support that feeling.
- Episodic – succinctly told in 3 acts. The first episode boasts a solid 3 hours of play-time, if not more.