The long-running social hang-out and community platform reaches 15 years of continued service, and will celebrate by revealing the winner of their grand prize draw.
Habbo – the longest running teen virtual world – is happy to be celebrating 15 years of active service! From humble beginnings as a chat room for a Finnish music band, this iconic free-to-play game has grown and evolved, thanks to the support of its community.
For the past month, Habbo’s creator, Sulake, has been honouring their devoted community of over 3,000,000 highly-active monthly players with a series of competitions and prize giveaways. Over 15 million prizes both physical and virtual have been given out to players over the six weeks – including a chance to be immortalised in the game forever in the brand new Hall of Fame, and a grand-prize package worth a game-changing 4000 Euros!
The winner of the grand-prize will be announced on the 28th August.
“Habbo means different things to different people, but we can all agree it is a very special place,” said Antti-Jussi Suominen, CEO of Sulake.
“We’re thrilled to have hit the 15 year mark that so few games manage to reach, and we’re looking forward to seeing what the next 15 bring!”
The last decade and a half has seen Habbo hold the title for number one virtual world for teens, with over 300 million registered avatars to date, with over 5 million app downloads. The recent addition of iOS and Android apps means that players can now hang-out, chat and create their own personal spaces wherever they are, whenever they want.
For more information on Habbo, visit their website: www.habbo.com
- 1987 – Habitat – the first online virtual world is developed by LucasFilm Games for the Commodore 64 computer
- 2000 – August 15 – Habbo launches
- 2003 – June 23 – Second Life launches
- 2003 – August 1 – MySpace launches
- 2004 – February 4 – Facebook launches
- 2004 – IMVU launches
- 2005 – October 24 – Club Penguin launches
- 2006 – July 15 – Twitter launches
- 2007 – June 29 – iPhone launches
- 2010 – October – Instagram launches
- 2011 – July – Snapchat launches