New rig gives gaming enthusiasts desktop power on a laptop
HP Inc. today unleashed its most powerful gaming laptop to date, the OMEN X by HP Laptop. Built for gaming enthusiasts and esports athletes seeking maximum performance, the OMEN X Laptop is engineered with the thermals to support unlocked CPUs to allow for overclocking5, and factory-overclocked GPUs and memory options for superb gaming performance in a stunning design.
Competitive gamers demand optimal and configurable desktop-level performance to deliver the best frame rates and responsiveness to beat the competition. They also crave a device that doesn’t compromise performance for mobility. Studying how gamers compete at the highest levels, HP created a device to respond to their needs, while delivering high-end components, advanced thermal solutions, fast and responsive displays, a fully customizable mechanical keyboard, and software tools that let gamers push the Omen X Laptop hardware to the limit.
“Esports is one of the fastest growing categories in gaming and we are excited by the popularity of HP’s OMEN family of products,” said Anne-Sophie Hadberg, head of Consumer Personal Systems EMEA, HP Inc. “With the release of the OMEN X Laptop, HP is bringing key innovations to performance, industrial design and customizability that were once only possible on a desktop, to give gamers a competitive edge.”
Engineered for Gaming Performance
The latest AAA titles and esports tournaments require high-performing graphics and raw-computing horsepower, so HP packed the OMEN X Laptop with industry-leading technology and custom-tuning capabilities, including:
- The OMEN Command Center Software to custom tune and push hardware to its limits, with the ability to manage CPU overclocking5; optimize gaming network traffic with a network booster to reduce latency in online games[i]; and, customize system lighting to streamline gaming controls
- Intel® 7th gen unlocked Intel® Core™ i7 CPU[ii], XMP memory options for memory overclocking5 and tested profiles up to DDR4-2800, and factory-overclocked GPUs up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 – ideal for fast-paced or multi-player games running at 4K resolutions[iii]
- RAID0 SSD option for ultra-fast boot and game loading and PCIe SSD+HDD storage options for quick responsiveness and massive storage capacity.[iv]
- Thermal management to push high-end hardware beyond factory settings[v], including high-performance fans to increase airflow and an integrated vapor chamber with four 3.5 mm heat pipes to improve heat transfer from the GPU and CPU to the four rear corner-mounted radiators[vi]
Designed for Immersion
Gaming is an immersive experience, so HP optimized the OMEN X Laptop to be VR ready on all configurations and includes features that enhance gameplay and limit outside distractions for full immersion:
- Mechanical and RGB LED-per key backlit keyboard, including 2.5 mm travel with tactile feel and mechanical switches to provide instant feedback and comfort for intense gaming sessions; RGB LED per key for customizable key maps; independent, programmable macro keys; and, N-Key rollover on every key for anti-ghosting functions
- 17-inch diagonal 4K display3 option for ultimate high-resolution gaming, or 120Hz 1080p display options for fast refresh rates and smooth visuals; and all configurations are NVIDIA G-Sync™ enabled for reduced image tearing
- DTS Headphone:X® for simulated surround sound with any headset7 and premium sound featuring HP Dual Speakers with Audio by Bang & Olufsen
- HP Audio Boost to ensure peak performance without overloading the speakers[vii]
- A translucent window to see inside the laptop, along with custom lighting and an aluminium finish for a premium look and feel that can be personalized and customized for the individual gamer
Crafted for Expansion
To give gamers a constant edge on the competition, the OMEN X Laptop is crafted for expansion with easy upgrading of the system capabilities or swapping parts:
- Single access panel to HDD, SSDs, and RAM, so all end-user replaceable components are easily accessible
- Generous port selection with support for up to four external displays
- Connect to a range of different gaming accessories with: three USB 3.0 Type A, two Thunderbolt™ 3-certified USB 3.1 TypeC™, HDMI 2.0a with HDR support, Mini DisplayPort™, RJ45 and a multi-format media card reader
- Dual audio jack with separate microphone input and headset jacks (input/output) to support the latest gaming headsets or external speakers
The OMEN X Laptop is expected to be available in EMEA in November, starting at €2,799[viii].
OMEN Challenge at Gamescom 2017
The OMEN Challenge returns to Gamescom 2017 to test pro players’ skills like never before. Some of the world’s best CS:GO players will once again face an extreme gaming experience where their mental and physical skills will be pushed to the limit in the hunt for greatness and glory. This high-performance tournament will challenge pro gamers to test their skills of dexterity, strategy, teamwork, self-control and stamina.
Four elite CS:GO teams – Team Dynasty, MouseSports, Flipsid3 Tactics and Penta Sports – will battle each other over three days, culminating in a final challenge to declare this year’s OMEN Challenge winner. Their strengths will be tested in unique ways as they set out to prove that their team has the skillset to dominate the game.
The OMEN Challenge will take place at the OMEN booth B51, Hall 8, at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. The heats will take place on Wednesday, August 23, and Thursday, August 24, from 5:00-8:00 p.m. local time, with the finals taking place on Friday, August 25, from 5:00-8:00 p.m. local time. The OMEN Challenge can also be viewed on Twitch at www.twitch.tv/omenbyhpeurope.