LEGENDARY GAME DESIGNER JEFF MINTER AND ATARI® TEAM UP FOR ADRENALINE-PUMPING REBOOT OF CLASSIC ARCADE SCI-FI TUBE SHOOTER WITH TEMPEST 4000™
Beloved Fan-Favorite Arcade Classic Heads to Console and PC in Time for Holiday 2017
Atari®, one of the world’s most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers, today announced Tempest 4000™, a visually stunning, action-packed shooter based on the classic arcade game, Tempest®, will be available this holiday season on current generation consoles and PC. Developed by legendary game designer Jeff Minter, Tempest 4000 remains faithful to the original fast-paced gameplay while adding exciting new features and gorgeous graphics for audiences on the most popular contemporary platforms.
The original Tempest, one of the first video games to use 3D vector graphics, represents one of Atari’s hallmark titles and is considered one of the most popular arcade games of all time. It has been featured prominently across pop culture – including in Ernest Cline’s dystopian Ready Player One novel.
“At the end of the day, video gamers always win,” said Jeff Minter, Executive Producer of Tempest 4000 and founder of Llamasoft. “I am very happy to work with Atari again to bring a long-awaited sequel of Tempest to our legion of fans and a new generation of gamers worldwide.”
Just as in the original game, players are once again in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive, aiming for the coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards.
Additional Key Features Include:
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
- Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
- Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.
“The original Tempest is a beloved arcade classic with a unique style and intense, edge-of-your-seat gameplay,” said Todd Shallbetter, Chief Operating Officer of Atari. “We’re thrilled to be able to work with Jeff Minter again, someone who is a legend in the industry and has made a huge impact on the history of video games, to develop this highly-anticipated next installment of the Tempest franchise, updated with today’s technology.”
Developed by Llamasoft, Tempest 4000 will be coming soon to console and PC. For more information, visit www.Atari.com.