PLANTRONICS RIG 500 SERIES GAMING HEADSETS DELIVER WORLD-CLASS AUDIO PERFORMANCE AND INDUSTRY-FIRST MODULAR DESIGN FOR THE E-SPORTS ENTHUSIAST — RIG 500 Series adapts to users’ needs; endorsed by ESL, the world’s largest e-sports company
Plantronics (NYSE: PLT), a pioneer in audio and wearable technology, and the creators of leading tournament headsets GameCom Commander and professional-class Supreme Commander, today introduced the RIG 500 Series – gaming headsets engineered specifically for the intensity of e-sports. Uniquely constructed with interchangeable components, the RIG 500 series can be configured for precise fit, extraordinary comfort, peerless game audio in any environment, and personalised style. Endorsed by ESL, the world’s largest e-sports company, the RIG 500 Series provides competitive gamers and aspiring professionals a flexible audio solution that adapts to their needs. The RIG 500 Series system includes components such as vented-air and sound-isolating ear cups, several colours of headbands, mobile stereo cables, a digital USB adapter with Dolby® 7.1 Surround Sound, and 24-bit audio support. RIG 500 Series headsets will be available in Europe in October 2015.
“Plantronics worked closely with competitive gamers to develop the RIG 500 Series gaming headsets, and like any precision equipment designed for competition, details matter,” said Gregory Morquin, Gaming Segment Manager, Plantronics. “The RIG 500 Series is a unique family of e-sports audio gear that can give an edge to pros and hopefuls through its ultra-light comfort and reliability, which is essential for long hours of dedicated practice, and our signature Plantronics audio, which is tuned especially for immersive gaming and clear communication.”
RIG 500 was designed from the ground up for e-sports enthusiasts and competitors, with finely tuned components focused on flexibility and personalised choice. When designing the headset, engineers stripped the product to bare bones, judiciously constructing only components with specific audio performance and comfort goals in mind.
Beginning with an ultra-light, super-flexible and incredibly durable frame, Plantronics designers created a headset that fits the broadest range of gamers possible without unnecessary complexity or weight. With small, medium and large attach points for ear cups and a self-adjusting headband, RIG 500 Series headsets provide exceptional comfort and fit. Two different sets of available ear cups round out the customisation: Vented for maximum breathability and heat dissipation, reducing listening fatigue and pressure, and Isolating for complete immersion, reducing background noise and enabling players to focus.
“We know e-sports, and from long experience, we know what it takes for competitive gamers to play their best,” said Han Park, president at ESL. “As a partner, Plantronics has demonstrated the ability and willingness to collaborate with the e-sports industry and players to create products that truly meet the unique – and demanding – needs of this group.”
ESL relies on the quality and performance consistently delivered by Plantronics gaming headsets to bring an unforgettable e-sports experience to players and millions of fans worldwide. The premium RIG 500E is a complete e-sports audio solution, and prominently features the ESL logo as the company’s visible endorsement of the headset. Additionally, materials included in the box give aspiring e-sports competitors everything they need to know to get started on their path to pro gaming glory.
- Personalisation: RIG 500 Series customisation does not end with fit and the right ear cups for the right environment. Players and teams can personalize their RIG 500 Series headset with team colours, logos, patterns and finishes (such as camo and carbon fibre) at Plantronics.com for a truly custom look.
- Audio engineered to win: All RIG 500 Series headsets feature 40mm drivers paired with low-frequency resonators for crisp highs and boosted bass. Flip-to-mute booms fitted with noise-cancelling microphones provide exceptional voice communication. Gamers can choose the sound they want with editions offering analogue stereo or USB Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound with support for 24-bit high-resolution media.
- Device compatibility: For competitive players on any platform, the RIG 500 Series works with PC/Mac, console controllers, smartphones and tablets.
Availability and Pricing (MSRP)
The RIG 500 Series will be available in October in several PC editions:
- RIG 500 – Stereo gaming headset with flip-to-mute mic boom – £44.99
- RIG 500HD – Surround sound USB gaming headset – £59.99
- RIG 500E – E-sports edition surround sound gaming headset with two sets of ear cups (vented and isolating), detachable boom mic, USB adapter and analogue stereo cables – £99.99
The RIG 500 Series will be also available for consoles:
- RIG 500HS – Stereo gaming headset officially licensed for PlayStation 4 – £44.99 (Available in October)
- RIG 500HX – Stereo gaming headset officially licensed for Xbox One – £44.99 (Available in Q1 2016)
Plantronics Gaming will be at the Gamescom Expo in Köln from August 5-9 showcasing the new RIG 500 Series headsets in both Business and Entertainment areas.