After being Greenlit six weeks ago, the developers at Squishy Games put their noses to the grindstone to push out a solid demo in advance of their appearance at the Salt Lake Gaming Convention and today’s Kickstarter launch.
The game features roguelike gameplay, permadeath, persistent damage to structures, and an in-depth modding system to help its solo soldier overcome the alien horde he or she is invading.
- 1-bit graphics throughout, created at 720p resolution
– Every pixel is black or white.
– No pixel is grey or colored. (Interpolation is unavoidable at non-1280×720 resolutions.)
- Roguelike: every playthrough is different and death of a soldier is permanent
– Every choice you make matters
– Taking risks and playing differently might lead to success and easier future paths
– …or it might kill you
- 12 unique areas combining procedural generation and pre-created encounters
– Persistent damage–destroyed objects are rebuilt over several playthroughs
- 6 enemy classes, each with three different personalities to provide different AI interactions during each launch
- Mini bosses and side quests that reward you for taking risks
- 8 cutscenes to provide background and exposition to drive plot and increase your involvement
- Vast modification options
– Collect 5 unique resources during invasion to rebuild your arsenal and ease future invasion runs
– 8 gun types, each with 1-6 modification slots
– 15+ modifications for guns
– 100s of combinations that provide usability unique to you and your play style
- Original orchestral music score by Caleb Blood
- Make constant tradeoffs to win the invasion
– Bigger gun or more ammo?
– Use this gun now or beam it up to be studied?
– Run through a section or sit back and kill all the aliens?
– Risk destroying all your cover or collect more resources for the next soldier to use?
- Homeworlds of soldiers pay homage to nearly 100 sci-fi locations for the out and closeted sci-fi nerds
– Homeworlds provide soldiers perks
- Endlessly replayable
– Hunt achievements
– Search for secrets
– Improve the arsenal
– Explore the world
– Thumb your nose at King Zeno