When dastardly demons and scheming gods run amuck in the ruins of post-apocalyptic Tokyo, it’s time for humans to step up and make a difference. And now its your turn to shoulder the deliverance of the human race as Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is now available in retail stores and on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS for $49.99/CA$64.99!
The game is the latest entry of the storied Shin Megami Tensei JRPG series where players both fight and recruit demons as a means to defy the gods. The timeline of Apocalypse overlaps the original Shin Megami Tensei IV but is not a direct sequel. It also features enhancements such as a refined combat system, streamlined quest mechanics, legendary difficulty, improved overworld map and much more. Plus, it’s a completely new story told from the perspective of the oppressed survivors of the ruins of Tokyo, so be prepared for some of the best SMT dungeon crawling action to date.
The story of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is one of human pawns being shuffled across a chessboard by the higher deities. One lone Hunter, the game’s protagonist, meets an early demise and through a pact with a lesser god named Dagda, is brought back to life in exchange for his pledge of servitude. From there, the protagonist allies with other Hunters in the ruins of post-apocalyptic Tokyo beginning a plot that crosses over with the events of the original Shin Megami Tensei IV.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse features:
- The Eternal Struggle Between Gods- The Shin Megami Tensei series, known for exploring the tenuous symbiosis between man and deity, reaches deeper than ever in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, as the band of main characters must decide which side of peace or anarchy they are on.
- Partner Up for Success – A new twist on the SMTIV combat formula allows players to bring one of seven partners to battle (in addition to the standard three demons), each with their own unique skills and AI. Plus, partners will fill up a meter that will interrupt the enemy, do massive damage, and give players an extra turn. Given the excruciating difficulty of battles in Shin Megami Tensei, the partner system will allow for new player strategies.
- Demons Aplenty – Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse has a series record 450+ demons to fight, fuse, or recruit to player parties. With demons from a wide selection of cultures and religions to choose from, players will be able to customize their party to their liking.
- Fuse For Affinities – Demon fusion, combining two or more demons to form a more powerful one, is one of the cornerstones of Shin Megami Tensei games, and now demons will have affinities for certain skills, giving players more decisions to make about which skills fusions will inherit.
- Press Turns and Smirking – The Press Turn system returns, which gives players (or enemies!) extra turns for exploiting weaknesses. The Smirk system returns as well, which gives huge offensive and defensive boosts to party members (or enemies) and now unlocks bonuses for certain skills, such as insta-kill attacks.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is now available in the Americas for $49.99/CA$64.99. The game is rated M by the ESRB and more information is available at http://www.atlus.com/smt4a.