Much like every other industry out there, online casino gaming is constantly evolving and changing. The number of casino sites are rapidly increasing (here are just a few of them), casinos are investing in their branding, quality and design of their games, even enriching the experience by using VR and augemented reality.
As new tech comes to market and hungry, up-and-coming entrepreneurs have breakthrough ideas, the industry changes rapidly and more so in recent years than ever before.
Without a doubt, biggest change in the last three to four years has been the rapid rise of social casino gaming. This has taken a fundamental fact about human nature, the desire to socialise with others and inserted it into playing casino games on the web.
Let’s face it – it was never as much fun playing blackjack against a computer program as it was to play down at the tables in the real world. Social gaming has changed that and you can now have just as much fun sitting on your sofa or on the train on the way home from work as you can in a bricks and mortar casino.
So, what exactly is social casino gaming and what defines it? We’ll take a look at those questions and more in what follows.
Social casino gaming is exactly what the name suggests – it’s playing online slots or card and table games and making them social.
Here are a few things which define social games:
- You can often interact with others through chat features and through things like poking, buying digital drinks and an array of other social elements. If you have ever played Zynga poker on Facebook, you will know what we mean.
- There is also often some sort of tournament or leaderboard which adds a competitive element into the mix. A great example of this is the reel races at Casumo which are mini real money slots tournaments.
- Social games can be played for real money at online casino sites but are also available to play for free on social media. These games often have their own currencies to keep track such as chips or points.
- The main point is you are playing casino games as you would, but with much more interaction and social fun involved in doing so. You want to beat other players but have fun with them, too.
Now, we have an idea what social gaming is. Let’s take a look at where most people play social casino games.
Where Can I Play Social Casino Games?
By far the most popular place to play social games like free blackjack or free slots is on Facebook.
Since over 1 billion people are on Facebook every day, you can definitely be guaranteed you will never be short of players to square off with.
Social casino games like Zynga poker on Facebook are fun but the real action is on the real money casino sites like Casumo and Mr. Green where you can play social slot games for real jackpots.
What Are the Benefits of Social Casino Games?
- If you play on Facebook or other social media sites, one advantage is you will likely be playing for free. This has a downside in that, you can’t win real money jackpots but you can’t lose real money either, so that has to be listed as a positive thing!
- The social element of these games undoubtedly makes them more fun. Liking, poking, buying digital drinks, etc. is definitely the way to go and you would be surprised how ‘real to life’ these games can feel when you get into them. They bring all the fun elements of social media into the games.
- Another positive for beginners is being able to practice with no risk. If you don’t really understand how slots work, how to play blackjack or how to win poker, these games can let you practice risk-free. Eventually, you might just decide to try the real thing at a real money social casino.
What Are the Most Popular Social Casino Games in the UK?
We’ll split these into two categories – free and for real money.
Zynga Poker – This is probably the most popular social casino game in the world. Millions of players battle it out against friends, family and strangers to climb through the ranks and win bigger and bigger pots.
If you don’t think the thrill would be the same, just try betting your entire pot in an ‘all in’ call and see. It’s truly nerve wracking and the rush can be unbelievable!
Slotomania – This one is all about slot games and there are well north of 5,000,000 active users.
This is also built into Facebook and you can download the app to your mobile device. You win points by creating winning paylines and scooping up jackpots just like in real slot machines.
There are plenty of real money social casino games out there but there are two which stand out and they both involve video slots.
Casumo Reel Races – These are little slots tournaments which take place every 30 minutes. You climb through the leaderboard by racking up wins and if you end up in one of the winning positions you get real money bonus cash or real money free spins on slots.
One thing we really like about the Reel Races is the high rollers can’t bully. It’s about the number of wins during the race, not the value.
Mr. Green Reel Thrill – This is basically the same concept as the Casumo Reel Races. These slots tournaments take place around the clock with those finishing in the top spots in each sharing the prize pool.
You can again win bonus cash and free spins which you can then use in the casino.
What’s Next for Social Casino Games?
It’s not possible to predict everything about the online casino industry and where it might go next but one thing we are absolutely certain of is that virtual reality is going to play a role.
We expect more and more players to be meeting up in virtual reality casinos to spin slots, chat to each other, enjoy digital drinks and do just about everything they do now.
Virtual reality casinos are already on the rise. We expect this trend to really take off in the next 2-3 years as virtual reality reaches a tipping point and really takes off.