New Zones, Dungeons and More Await Explorers in the Deadly Plane of Water
Dreams and nightmares await as award-winning online game RIFT gets a major expansion today with the release of Nightmare Tide. Named “Best in Show” at PAX 2014 by MMORPG.com, Nightmare Tide is now free to explore for all players, with Collector’s Editions available for players interested in an instant boost to level 60, new equipment slots, a shark mount, and other bonuses.
“Nightmare Tide is an answer to our fans who have wondered what lies beyond the rifts and where planar terrors come from,” said RIFT executive producer, Bill Fisher. “We’ve expanded the lore of RIFT, allowing players to dive into dynamic adventures and team up with other Ascended to test their mettle in new planar dungeons, rifts, raids, and more.”
Nightmare Tide, the first major expansion since 2012’s Storm Legion, takes players into the Plane of Water, where dreams and nightmares made manifest threaten the existence of Telara and all of the elemental planes. Players will encounter all new open-world zones and story quest lines, a new rift type, an increased level cap, and much more.
New features within Nightmare Tide include:
- Nightmare Rifts – From Silverwood and Freemarch to Tarken Glacier, Nightmare Rifts are tearing across Telara, offering progressive challenges that make these rifts fearsome indeed. But with more danger come greater rewards — including the best planar essences in the game.
- A New Adventure – Players can journey to the Plane of Water and quest through three vast Zones filled with new dangers. They can summon Aquatic Mounts and explore new environments from sunken lairs to spires soaring to the frozen edge of the cosmos.
- Master Your Calling – Players can now wield new Mastery Abilities, amplifying the power of each Calling as they ascend 5 more levels to an increased level cap of 65. Players can advance crafting skills with Expansion Recipes, and power up with new gear and Equipment Slots.
- Legendary Challenges – Ascended can battle through six new Dungeons, plus a Chronicle. Nightmare Coast is a level 60 dungeon that leads Ascended toward the Plane of Water, with Gyel Fortress, Citadel of Insanity, and Glacial Maw dungeons providing challenging experiences as characters level their way up. At level 65, each of these dungeons has an expert mode, and both Return to Iron Tomb and Return to Empyrean Core are being released as level 65 expert dungeons. There’s also the Shadow from Beyond Chronicle for groups of two players.
- Epic Achievements – You’ll also find two Nightmare Raid Rifts, challenging open-world raids that test the most resolute of Ascended. For a glimpse into what happens when an evil destiny is fulfilled, complete the 10-man sliver Rhen of Fate and reap epic rewards. For the ultimate challenge, gather together for the 20-man raid into Mount Sharax and take the battle to the frost giants.
- Minions – With this all-new collectable gameplay element, players will be able to recruit and command a host of Minions to complete tasks and seek out hidden treasures on their behalves.
- Mentoring – With the expanded Mentoring system, players can now quest with friends of any level.
Nightmare Tide is available to all players of RIFT, Trion Worlds’ free-to-play MMO.