Geekzonia, a free social, entertainment and retail space, built to be experienced entirely in virtual reality, today launches an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, where they look to receive $40,000 USD (£32,000 GBP) in funding.
Geekzonia has been created by co-founders Carina and Stephen Walsh, and CEO Peter Dobson – the faces behind comic book shop and cafe chain Geek Retreat – which has stores in Glasgow, Newcastle and Birmingham.
Aimed at Geeks, VR and tech enthusiasts and people with passions, Geekzonia is using Improbable’s SpatialOS platform to build a social haven for users to get together and share their interests in interactive, immersive and extraordinary environments linked to these interests. Here’s a taster of the various zones to experience.
In an infinitely multiplayer environment, Geekzonia will transport users into a virtual world divided by separate zones of sci-fi, horror, fantasy and more. Each zone will allow users to explore content from watching the latest movie trailer to shopping merchandise at a comic store.
The kind of VR events Geekzonia can host could potentially evolve forever, but initially will include:
- Fan Hangouts – head to the Sci-Fi Zone, join international fan group discussions about Doctor Who, automatically find friends who love the same fandoms as you do and regularly meet up in a space port, even if they live oceans away in real life.
- Quiz Shows pitting fan groups against each other, with themed rounds like Name the Super Hero! Sing that Theme Tune! Reenact this Scene!
- Viewing Parties for live events like eSports Tournaments or exclusive 360° trailers and Movies.
- Workshops with eSports coaches, Comic Book writers/artists, Cosplayers, VR Vloggers or even Virtual Sculptors so you can learn how to create your own Avatar Cosplays, that you could then make and sell.
- Virtual Shops where staff working in a Virtual World, will be able to communicate face to face with worldwide customers like never before.
- Celebrity meet & greets, enabling users to chat to the stars of geek culture, just like you would at a real world comic-con
Launching in August 2017, users will be able to download and install Geekzonia from one of the VR app stores, like Oculus or Steam, and can build a unique avatar along with a profile detailing their interests. These interests will allow the platform to notify the user of potential like-minded friends and build upon their social experience.
The platform will use the funding generated from the Indiegogo campaign to expand the core offering and enhance user enjoyment: improving avatar customisation and building new, and expanding upon, zones. Additional funds will also support future expansion in the retail space, branded zones, live events, celebrity appearances and mobile VR support.
Every $ donated on the Indiegogo platform, before close on 2nd April, will be rewarded handsomely with In-World freebies and will give donors at least double their money back in Geekzonian dollars – to spend on exclusive events, avatar extras, 3D printing and shopping. Pledgers will also be automatically entered into a competition to win an Oculus Rift.
Other perks include guided tours of Geekzonia, guaranteed VIP access to exclusive events, a free VR Wedding, and personalised plaques, statues or zones.
Stephen Walsh, co-founder said: “If you’re a geek like us, the potential of Virtual Reality makes you giddy. Growing up, the idea of virtual worlds was the work of Science Fiction, from The Matrix to the Holodeck in Star Trek. Today, 90 million people own a Virtual Reality headset but we’re still waiting for the Holodeck, and we’ve certainly not reached Matrix proportions. But Geekzonia is turning Science Fiction into Science FACT, creating a Universe that hosts unlimited VR users and delivering a 24/7 Comic-Con of WONDER. We’re so excited to open the floodgates and get Geeks investing in a world they’re really passionate about.”