Bohemia Interactive announces Arma 3 Laws of War DLC New humanitarian faction, van, drone, mini-campaign, and more
Previously referred to under its codename “Orange DLC”, Bohemia Interactive today revealed the next addition to its military sim-game Arma 3. Available worldwide in the beginning of September, the Arma 3 Laws of War DLC explores a different perspective on the battlefield via the addition of a humanitarian faction, van, drone, mini-campaign, and much more. Some of the basic principles of the laws of war, which are also commonly referred to as International Humanitarian Law (IHL), are further introduced in the DLC’s new reveal trailer.
The Laws of War DLC delivers new playable content, together with many new in-game assets, providing even more opportunities for various types of combat operations and roleplay in Arma 3. Its key features include:
- International Development & Aid Project (IDAP) – This new faction, IDAP, is a non-governmental organization which is specialized in rapidly responding to humanitarian disasters The faction is composed of new IDAP-branded clothing and gear, including outfits for specialized roles such as Explosive Ordnance Disposal specialists, as well as many other tools, supplies, and other items.
- “Remnants of War” Mini-Campaign – Take on the role of IDAP explosive specialist Nathan MacDade, who is tasked with identifying and deactivating mines after the war in the Republic of Altis & Stratis has ended. While you are being interviewed by an investigative journalist, you will uncover what happened in the town of Oreokastro, experiencing the events from the perspective of various sides, in recollections that span multiple periods of time.
- Van – IDAP makes use of a new van, which comes in multiple variants, with over twenty custom liveries in total. Each variant caters to a specific purpose, such as cargo logistics or the transport of people. There is also an ambulance variant available.
- Utility & Demining Drone – IDAP has a new drone at its disposal to be able to quickly move cargo or supplies to a specific location. A special variant of the drone is used as part of IDAP’s demining operations.
- APERS Mine Dispenser – The APERS Mine Dispenser is an effective but controversial area denial weapon system. It is typically only used in desperate situations, and can have devastating effects even long after a conflict has ended.
- Vests, Bags, Headgear & Facewear – Various pieces of new gear are available to help you carry out your duties. This includes safety vests, messenger bags, hard hats and press helmets, ear protectors, safety goggles, and much more.
- Additional Content – The Laws of War DLC adds a variety of miscellaneous additional content, such as time trial challenges for the new van and drone, a paramedic outfit, and a training mine.
In addition, the Laws of War DLC will be supported by a major free Arma 3 platform update, adding a lot of new content and feature extensions related to the DLC’s assets and theme This platform update is free for all owners of Arma 3. Its highlights include: refined cluster strikes, the simulation of Unexploded Ordnance (UXO), the ability to drop (custom) leaflets from the sky, two new Showcase scenarios (Showcase Laws of War and Faction Showcase IDAP), a wide variety of emergency and medical supplies such as food bags, water bottle packages, blankets, stretchers, and IV bags, plus decorative objects such as shelter tents and new furniture, extra Steam Achievements, and much more. A complete overview of the Laws of War DLC, and its supporting platform update, is available at wwwarma3.com/dlc/lawsofwar.
Joris-Jan van ‘t Land, Project Lead on the Arma 3 Laws of War DLC:
“With amazing support from our teams in the Czech Republic and Thailand, this marks the first project for our small new studio in Amsterdam, which – together with the perhaps unusual DLC theme – makes it extra special for us. The idea for the Laws of War package was very much inspired by our relationship with the International Committee of the Red Cross. This began with a presentation from the ICRC to the Arma 3 development team on the topic of International Humanitarian Law a few years ago. Since then, we’ve always been interested in thinking of ways to better incorporate this vital yet also very complex aspect of war into the game. With this DLC, we hope to offer a balanced introduction to the laws of war, and their implications on the way that war is conducted.”
The Arma 3 Laws of War DLC is scheduled for release early September, and is available for pre-order on Steam and the Bohemia Store with a 10% pre-order discount (normal price: € 9.99 / $ 11.99 / £ 8.99). A portion of the proceeds from the direct sales of the Laws of War DLC in 2017 will be donated to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The total amount raised will be announced on www.bistudio.com in 2018.
For more information on Arma 3 and the Laws of War DLC, please visit the official website at www.arma3.com. To keep track of all the latest Arma 3 news and developments, be sure to follow and/or subscribe to Arma 3 on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Steam.