Strategy card games just got a taste for adventure – become a Legend and fight your own cards on an epic quest to smash your rival
The open beta forChronicle: RuneScape Legends, a new generation of strategy card games that sees players fighting their own cards to determine the fate of a Legend, is now available for PC gamers from www.rschronicle.com , Jagex Games Studio announced today.
From the studio best known as the creator of iconic MMO RuneScape, Chronicle is an enthralling new game where every card is an action; there’s no mana, no minions and definitely no random number generation.
Presenting a step-change for the genre, Chronicle twists traditional strategy card game mechanics from battle and board control to create a unique experience, that embraces RPG-style questing and skilling.
In Chronicle, players create their own adventure by strategically selecting Support and Enemy cards from their deck to form a quest for their chosen Legend in a bid for supremacy over their rival. Players can play their cards to trip up their rival or focus on becoming an unstoppable force themselves.
Said Mark Killey, Senior Producer, Chronicle: RuneScape Legends:
“It’s time to shake up the world of competitive card games and Chronicle is doing just that with the launch of its open beta today. Delivering the most skill-orientated card game to date, Chronicle is a game of grand strategy and one where your own cards can not only be your greatest ally but also your deadliest enemy. Chronicle is all about survival of the smartest and it’s the PvP-meets-PvE questing that gives Chronicle a competitive core, making a fun mechanic into a truly compelling evolution of the genre.”
WHAT TO EXPECT IN CHRONICLE: RUNESCAPE LEGENDS OPEN BETA
Chronicle gives players the chance to write the fate of Legends from the world ofRuneScape in a battle of wits, strategy and combat where lives are gambled on the turn of the cards. It’s a game where two rival Legend adventurers are seeking victory and both are equipped with the tools to trip the other up.
As every quest chapter opens, a rich environment is revealed and offers up four slots for card placement, each representing a step forward and action point in the adventure. In the role of a chosen Legend, players select up to four cards from their deck, which can be a mix of Support and Enemy cards each with an action and specific values. These are then placed in the slots on the landscape and locked in sequence.
In Chronicle, the player’s cards are both their greatest weapon and weakness. Like any great role playing game, players slay monsters, bosses and other foes to gain loot. Unlike other card games, players need to battle their own cards, rather than their opponents.
As the sequence of cards turn – one-by-one – the quest unfolds, with each card bringing a new challenge or reward. The rival Legend’s chain of cards plays out in parallel and can help or, more likely, hinder the player. If both players make it to the end of the fifth chapter, the Legends do battle against each other, with the victor being the last person standing.
If the closed beta, which saw almost ¼ million games played, formed Chronicle’s prologue, today’s launch of the open beta marks the beginning chapter one. Headline content to be introduced during the open beta phase includes: New Legends, Dungeoneering, Skilling, Customisation, Leaderboards, and new environments.
- More Legends: Joining the four Legends from the Closed Beta, two new playable Legends will emerge with Vanescula the Vampyre, who enters the fray as Chronicle’s fifth playable character, bringing 30+ new cards and a brand new way to play with her – blood will be spilt! The sixth Legend to be introduced soon is Morvran, the greatest Slayer Master, with his own monstrous style of questing.
- Dungeoneering: A new mode that tasks players with creating a drafted deck and battling their way through ever increasing PvP challenges. Draft your way to victory in a quest for Coins, Gem Shards and Platinum.
- Skilling: Core to the wider RuneScape experience is Skilling, and Chronicle will continue that legacy by introducing its own system. Actions performed in Chronicle will grant experience points in one of the game’s skills which will then lead to some juicy customisation unlocks.
- Legend Customisation: Players will finally be able to make their Legend their own with Chronicle’s first collection of skins. These are earned by levelling up a Legend, or unlocking them within the Chronicle Store. With the resulting outfits, players will be able to customise their Legend and face their rival in style.
- Leaderboards: Leaderboards will shine a light on those epic players that make up the best of the Bronze, Silver & Gold leagues. Every victory takes you one step closer to the top.
- New environments – The Wilderness Crater & Barrows: Not one, but two brand new locations will be bursting through the pages of Chronicle in open beta adding some fire and brimstone to your adventures.
To join the open beta for Chronicle: RuneScape Legends, download the game from:https://www.rschronicle.com/