- To begin with, give us a brief history on NoScope; it’d be nice to know things such as what the motivation behind the startup was and why the name NoScope was chosen?
We decided to make a name for ourselves with gaming glasses after we noticed a visible gap in the current market. Gaming and computer glasses were a popular accessory that many people were familiar with and wanted, but very few actually owned due to their prohibitively high price. We saw this as an opportunity to offer an affordable solution to gamers everywhere and establish ourselves as a company dedicated to supporting all gamers; the casual players and streamers along with the pros. We chose the name NoScope due to its familiarity with the gaming community and our audience, as well as its emphasis on precision. Scoring a NoScope kill in any game is something that requires a sharp eye, something our product certainly assists with!
- Following that brief history there will be many people who are sceptical that ‘gaming glasses’ actually work. Having used them myself I can vouch that I was no longer getting headaches or strained eyes when gaming for long periods, but, for those who still don’t believe they make a difference, can you explain the science behind the glasses to our readers?
You can find a full breakdown of how our products work on our blog entry located here: https://www.noscopeglasses.com/blog-2/61-how-do-gaming-glasses-work
- Until fairly recently you only had the one design of glasses available, the Demon Series, these were built with both comfort and style in mind and from my own experience they duly deliver. Being the first NoScope glasses available though it must have put a lot of pressure on them and you to perform well. How crucial was it that you got it right first time round?
The ‘Demon’ model of frames were designed with comfort and style in mind, balanced with the desire to offer an affordable solution to those who wanted gaming glasses. We knew in order to be successful, we had to provide a product that was not only a reasonable price, but looked great and were easy to wear. We did this by keeping a sleek, simple design and excising any features not related to the product’s function itself. This is why NoScope’s don’t have any inflated margins or absurd packaging. Our focus has been and continues to be offering the best product possible for a competitive cost.
- Luckily the Demon Series were a huge success, so much so that you now have two new designs; the Hydra for gamers and the Orion which is orientated more towards people who work in office spaces and spend long periods of time on computers. What differences and improvements can customers expect between them and the Demon Series?
The ‘Demon’ series are what NoScope was founded upon and still continue to be our best selling product. This is because they embody our company’s philosophy of form, function, and affordability. That is not to say that they are perfect, however, and we addressed the issues some people had with the ‘Demon’ model with our new frames. Sporting flatter arms with a rubberized guard, ‘Hydra’ are much more ideal for gamers who use large headphones for long periods of time. ‘Orion’ are much better suited for public use with a thin, low-profile frame. The ‘Orion’ model also feature larger lenses to improve peripheral vision coverage.
- If you had to pick one of the three designs available, which would be your personal favourite and why?
While I truly love the style of our classic ‘Demon’ series and the classy look of ‘Orion’, I must admit that the metal-alloy frame and improved comfort of our new ‘Hydras’ give it a slight edge and cement it as my favorite of our current catalog.
- I suppose there are a few hurdles to get past during the design process, how challenging is it to keep costs low so your gaming glasses remain affordable?
We always work to maintain a perfect balance of quality and price in our product, and thankfully we are able to offer our glasses at a great price without cutting corners. We don’t place an inflated margin on our products and instead focus on allowing our merchandise to speak for itself. That is not to say that we have not had difficult decisions to make in the past. Deciding to leave the traditional $19.99 price point for our ‘Hydra’ line was a difficult decision, but we opted to continue to improve our design philosophy and felt that the incredible improvements that these frames offered were a great value for the $29.99 price. As our recent sales have shown, our fans and customers agree as well and ‘Hydra’ has received almost unanimously positive feedback.
- You have yet to release any kind of prescription lense like some of your more expensive rivals, is this something that is not currently viable due to their higher costs or is it something you are working towards?
Our top priority in our products is offering a quality, functional item for an affordable cost. We realize many of our fans wear prescription glasses and the demand for a prescription-friendly line of NoScope glasses is very high. We’re currently exploring many different options to offer this, and we hope to have more information available about our plans in the near future.
- Besides potential for prescription lenses where do you see NoScope heading in the future? Can we expect more new designs and the possible addition of accessories such as elasticated glasses cords?
NoScope has experienced incredible success and potential for expansion due to the success of not only our classic ‘Demon’ series, but our new ‘Hydra’ and ‘Orion’ as well, allowing us the opportunity and incentive to plan further growth of our catalog. While we cannot be specific at this time with what we are working towards, rest assured that this is just the first step in continuing to make NoScope a global brand synonymous with gaming.
- Finally, as most of our writers are students looking to get themselves careers in the gaming industry what advice can you offer to prepare them for their futures?
Gaming as an industry has a broad horizon with many different paths, both explored and unexplored. Between game development, games journalism, eSports, and performance streaming, there are new avenues emerging every day to earn success through gaming. More exciting than this, however, is the fact that there are new and creative ways to make one’s place in the industry that have never been attempted before. Gaming is, more so than any other, an industry that rewards creativity. Find the things that you enjoy most about gaming, and use your skills to reach out to others that have the same interests and passions. NoScope is also very proud to offer sponsorships to any and all gamers looking to make a name for themselves in the industry. We would certainly like to encourage anyone involved with gaming to apply at https://www.noscopeglasses.com/sponsorship-application.