The Journey Ahead
World of Warcraft is an online RPG game released more than a decade ago which still has millions of people playing and exploring its rich world every day. As a matter of fact, it is one of the most acclaimed PC games of all time according to Metacritic.
Whether you are a new player or a veteran in MMORPGs you probably have heard of the terms ‘grinding ‘and ‘boosting’. But to be sure we are on the same page let’s review them shortly:
Grinding is a term for working in a task repeatedly, and after a substantial time reaping the rewards for it. In the context of World of Warcraft (WoW), you can level up through quests or fighting enemies (mobs) for experience points. Other than leveling some other activities are subjected to grinding as well are farming items, profession-related crafting and so forth.
On the other hand ‘Boosting’ is when you outsource the labor to another person and this part of leveling up your character to anywhere between the levels 1 and 120. Your character is then called a ‘boosted character’.
Climbing Up Or Starting At The Top?
So grinding is akin to climbing a mountain, whereas boosting allows you to choose where to start off your journey. In that sense, it does seem clear that boosting is, in general, a better option but let us go through reasons why this is the case. Below is a list of pros and cons of grinding and boosting.
Pros of Grinding:
- For those who enjoy more the ride than the destination grinding is a more satisfying experience.
- You get to learn more about the lore and your chosen character class.
- By the time you’ve reached the highest levels, you’ll be a very experienced player.
Cons of Grinding:
- Time needed: even if you are not a casual player you still might have a job or some hobby that takes up your time. Grinding will suck up your energy. And to some people energy is more important than time.
- You might lose interest in the game.
Pros of Boosting:
- The most obvious one: you save time. As much as we love playing games there is only so much we can do with our time.
- Endgame Content: Some content is available only to high levels characters. You can get access to those faster.
- A boosted character can make gold and mounts easier.
- Support to alternative Characters (Alts): With a boosted character you can buy better items for your alternative characters and transfer those to your other characters.
- Heirlooms: some items allow you to earn more experience while wearing them. This attribute is scalable up to level 60. That means they will stay in the items until you reach that level. One of the ways of having an heirloom is buying them at a guild vendor. And these items cannot be sold until you reach a particular level.
- Boosting does not rule out the experience of grinding, it just makes it less painful.
Cons of Boosting:
- At first, you won’t have the experience of a veteran, lacking a bit of knowledge about the specifics of the game.
- You won’t learn as much about the world as you would grinding and doing as many quests as possible.
- You might lack experience in PvP combat and raids, struggling in the beginning.
Some items on the list are highly dependent on individual players’ experiences, but I hope the general idea is clear.
Okay, so you weighted the pros and cons and decided that it’d be better for you to outsource the tedious work. What now?
As it happens in WoW you have basically two ways to get your character improved: by playing a lot and often or by outsourcing what you deem unnecessary. The latter way is achieved by using boosting services.
A booster is a person who can offer a wide range of services for you: from leveling up your character to getting items you want cheaper, from getting you gold to doing quests, you name it. In fact, there are marketplaces where these services are offered, such as the Overgear platform so you can hire people to do a job you’d rather not to.
You might still be asking yourself ‘isn’t this cheating? ‘The answer is: no. You are not changing the rules of the game or altering anything. These are legitimate services to help you enjoy more your gaming experience. It is outsourcing a time-consuming task to others who are willing to do that. And there is no shame in prioritizing your time!
Where do we go from here?
Well, the choice, as always, is yours. Boosting a character makes it possible for you to enjoy the more fun and tailored experience. Although is always fun to go through all steps of the game, not everyone has or want to spend so much time of their day improving their character. And if you still want to go through grinding, a boosted character can make your life easier.