Salix Games has announced that its ambitious adventure Dance of Death: Du Lac & Fey launches on PC through Steam.
A suspect and corrupt mainstream media? A culture tainted with misogyny and discrimination? A world where sex and sexuality are unnaturally and unhealthily buried? All make an appearance in the game’s branching and gripping narrative, as the game’s two leads try and track down the infamous Jack the Ripper.
Lifted from Arthurian Legend, the two main characters – Du Lac and Fey find themselves in new forms and, indeed, a new time, taking with them the pains of their past lives as they trail the path of death left by Jack the Ripper. In the midst of their investigations they also encounter a Whitechapel local Mary Kelly, a young woman with special gifts who may hold the key to the entire mystery…
Be warned, investigations are anything but linear, with an extensive branching narrative, the crucial choices the players make lead to unique – and potentially unexpected – conclusions.
Dance of Death: Du Lac and Fey has been crafted by a team that, collectively, has worked at the likes of Lionhead and Rocksteady. Jessica Saunders, founder of Salix Games, is very much accustomed to high production values and branching narratives with here experience in the industry and she is keen to highlight that the story – which sends players back in time to the 19th century – is still in line with modern day challenges and topics.
“We can’t wait to see what people think of ‘Dance of Death’,” says Saunders. “This is an opportunity for gamers to experience a truly unique and mature narrative that doesn’t shy away from exploring human themes in a historical world. We want to mix up the adventure genre and provide a crafted experience that accurately represents Victorian London in all its gritty glory, but also add a slight magical element to it – bring a fresh new flavour and perspective to the Ripper case.”
Saunders continues, “It was imperative that we give a voice to those in the investigation that you would often ignore. Most mediums will focus on the murderer or investigation itself, but we felt the essence and detail of an engaging story exists in the people that surround the crime. “
Developed by a team of true artisans in games, acting, art, sound, and music, and brimming with quality, Dance of Death: Du Lac & Fey features:
- An absorbing and atmospheric tale of a 19th century London being torn apart by the murderous Jack the Ripper
- Netflix Original production standards – this is a quality adventure with a bold story to tell
- Three playable characters, – immortal knight Sir Lancelot Du Lac, the cursed sorceress Morgana Le Fey, and the Ripper’s last victim Mary Kelly – each of whom has their own demons to take on in play
- Crime scene investigations tailored to the skills of the three main characters, encouraging players to adapt their approach
- A multi-branching story where in-game decisions impact on each character’s resolution
- A wide array of NPCs designed to show what real life was like in 19th century Whitechapel
- A cast of amazing voice actors, including stars from Dragon Age, Penny Dreadful, Black Mirror and Game of Thrones