Kingston has announced its new Data Center 500 Series Enterprise SSDs. DC500R is optimised for read-intensive applications while DC500M is optimised for mixed-use workloads. Both SSDs in the DC500 Series implement Kingston’s strict Quality of Service (QoS) requirements to ensure predictable random I/O performance as well as predictable low latencies over a wide range of read and write workloads.
DC500R is ideal for read-intensive applications such as boot up, web servers, virtual desktop infrastructure, operational databases and real-time analytics. Cloud service providers and software-defined storage architects can leverage the drive’s consistent I/O and latency performance to deliver the QoS needed in demanding read-centric environments. At .5 DWPD (drive writes per day), DC500R allows IT administrators to maximise their investment in storage hardware with a drive that delivers on performance, endurance and reliability.
DC500M is designed for mixed-use workloads in applications that have a more even balance of read and write I/O demands on the SSD. It is ideal for Cloud service providers and software-defined storage architects who need a flexible infrastructure to effectively adapt and manage transactional workloads. These workloads include AI, big data analytics, Cloud computing, database applications, data warehousing, machine learning and operational databases. With an endurance rating of 1.3 DWPD, DC500M is ideal for the high-volume rack-mount server market for internal drive bay upgrades, hyperscale data centre servers and Cloud service providers requiring low-cost, high-performance storage subsystems.
“Eighty (80) percent of all enterprise SSDs deployed in data centres require less than one (1) DWPD,” said Gregory Wong, president and principal analyst, Forward Insights. “As data centres seek the optimal balance between application-required endurance, capacity and cost, this trend is expected to continue.”
“Quality of Service in an enterprise SSD is essential for Cloud computing applications that require predictable storage performance levels and meet customer service level agreements. The new DC500 Series SSDs deliver excellent performance to intensive data centre applications from the development stage of the application to the end-user customer experience downstream,” said Tony Hollingsbee, SSD business manager EMEA, Kingston. “To ensure the security of user data, DC500 incorporates end-to-end data path protection and power-loss protection to safeguard data in-flight in the event of sudden power loss. This is the optimal data centre storage solution when you combine its enterprise-class reliability and strict QoS requirements along with Kingston’s legendary pre- and post-sales support.”
The Data Center 500 Series is available in 480GB, 960GB, 1.92TB and 3.84TB capacities. For more information visit www.kingston.com.
Data Center DC500 Enterprise SSD Features & Specifications:
- Optimised for read-intensive applications (DC500R): Responsiveness from low latency and consistent I/O performance delivers businesses the QoS needed in demanding read-centric workloads.
- Optimised for mixed-use applications (DC500M): An exceptional balance of consistent I/O delivery and high read and write IOPS performance to manage a wide range of transactional workloads.
- Reduce application latencies: Data centre’s hosting databases and various web-based applications can leverage the predictable I/O and latency performance.
- Data Integrity Protection: ECC protection with advanced read/disturb management safeguards against data corruption for end-to-end data protection.
- On-board (PLP) Power Loss Protection: Reduce the possibility of data loss and/or corruption on ungraceful power fails via power capacitors and firmware.
- Form Factor: 2.5 Inch.
- Interface: SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0 (3Gb/s)
- Capacities1: 480GB, 960GB, 1.92TB, 3.84TB (DC500M 3.84TB capacity available in later Q2)
- NAND: 3D TLC
- Self-Encrypting Drive (SED): AES 256-bit Encryption
- Sequential Read/Write: (DC500R)
480GB – 555MBs/500MBs 960GB – 555MBs/525MBs
1.92TB – 555MBs/525MBs 3.84TB – 555MBs/520MBs
- Steady-State 4k Read/Write: (DC500R)
480GB – 98,000/12,000 IOPS 960GB – 98,000/20,000 IOPS
1.92TB – 98,000/24,000 IOPS 3.84TB – 98,000/28,000 IOPS
- Sequential Read/Write: (DC500M)
480GB – 555MBs/520MBs 960GB – 555MBs/520MBs
1.92TB – 555MBs/520MBs 3.84TB – 555MBs/520MBs
- Steady-State 4k Read/Write: (DC500M)
480GB – 98,000/58,000 IOPS 960GB – 98,000/70,000 IOPS
1.92TB – 98,000/75,000 IOPS 3.84TB – 98,000/75,000 IOPS
- Quality of Service (Latency)2 3 4: TYP Read/Write: <500 µs / <2 ms
- Hot-Plug Capable
- Static and Dynamic Wear Leveling
- Enterprise SMART tools: Reliability tracking, usage statistics, life remaining, wear leveling, temperature
480GB — 438TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6 960GB — 876TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6
1.92TB — 1752TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6 3.84TB — 3504TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6
480GB – 1139TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6 960GB – 2278TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6
1.92TB – 4555TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6 3.84TB – 9110TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6
- Power Consumption:
Idle: 1.56W Average: 1.6W Max Read: 1.8W Max Write: 7.5W
- Storage temperature: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Operating temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Dimensions: 69.9mm x 100mm x 7mm
- Weight: 92.34g
- Vibration operating: 2.17G Peak (7–800Hz)
- Vibration non-operating: 20G Peak (10–2000Hz)
- MTBF: 2 million hours
- Warranty/support7: Limited 5-year warranty with free technical support
Kingston DC500M (Mixed-Use)