As part of their mission to reduce food waste, Hellmann’s UK is launching its very own Island in Nintendo’s Animal Crossing: New Horizon’s game to inspire people to make the most of leftover food at Christmas and give back to those in need. From 14th December, players can explore the new Island and convert their virtual food waste into real nutritious meals for people in need this Christmas. For every spoiled turnip donated on the island, Hellmann’s will make a financial donation to fund the equivalent of two meals distributed by FareShare, the UK’s largest charity fighting hunger and food waste.
The world of Animal Crossing sees gamers create their own virtual havens in the form of an island for a peaceful escape from everyday life. Turnips are acquired by players to increase their wealth. Each week, Animal Crossing players purchase turnips on the ‘Stalk Market’ that will spoil if not sold within the week, becoming virtually worthless in the game. From 14th – 18th December, 2pm – 10pm every day, players will be able to drop off their spoiled turnips and explore the new Hellmann’s Island, from the festive Santa’s Grotto to relaxing Orchard and Outdoor Winter Spa.
Hellmann’s is on the side of food and is committed to their mission to inspire people to make taste, not waste. To remind players to be more conscious of their own food waste, Hellmann’s has launched a collection of Ugly Christmas Jumpers for players to collect and wear in the game. Jumper designs have been inspired by common Christmas leftover foods such as Turkey and Broccoli, and come with recipes to help people turn those leftovers into delicious meals. These include the Christmas Coronation Turkey Sandwich, Broccoli Breakfast Hash and Smashed Potato Nachos. Jumper codes and recipes can be found here.
Hellmann’s mission is to inspire people around the world to be more resourceful in their kitchens and waste less food – to say ‘yes’ to taste, and ‘no’ to waste. Everyone must do their part and in order to safeguard our planet for future generations, we must make wasting food socially unacceptable.
Lindsay Boswell, CEO of FareShare said:
“Thank you to Hellmann’s for recognising the work FareShare does to fight hunger and tackle food waste through this initiative. In a year that has already been incredibly tough, getting nutritious food onto the plates of the most vulnerable people has never been more important and each donation from Hellmann’s will help to make a real difference this Christmas.”
Rachel Chambers, Senior Marketing Manager at Hellmann’s said:
“At Hellmann’s we’re all about great tasting food and this Christmas we’re sharing a range of new recipes to help people use up their Christmas leftovers and ensure good food doesn’t go to waste. We’re huge fans of the incredible work FareShare does, and through the new Hellmann’s island, our aim is to donate 50,000 meals for people in need this Christmas. We hope Animal Crossing players have fun exploring attractions on the Island while dropping off their spoiled turnips.”
How it works:
- Hellmann’s island will be open for tours December 14thto 18th from 2:00pm – 10:00pm daily.
- To access the island, gamers will direct message @HellmannsUK on Twitter each tour day starting at 2:00pm to secure a time slot and receive a dodo code. Limited spots available.
- Selected visitors will be provided with a 15-minute time slot to drop off their spoiled turnips. For each spoiled turnip dropped off, Hellmann’s will make a financial donation to distribute the equivalent of two nutritious meals from FareShare to vulnerable people until the overall target of 50,000 meals has been achieved.
- After dropping off their spoiled turnips, guests will have the opportunity to explore the rest of the attractions on Hellmann’s Island including:
○ Hellmann’s Farm – Visitors can take a peaceful stroll through the picturesque Christmas tree lot or take a look at some of the Hellmann’s ingredients, including freshly laid eggs from free-run hens and quality vinegar in rustic barrels.
○ FareShare Cafe – Here, guests can unwind, and enjoy a quick snack, while lounging at our beautifully sculpted outdoor picnic area.
○ Santa’s Grotto – Visitors are sure to feel the Christmas glee in Santa’s Grotto. It’s the perfect place to express their Christmas wishes, especially their wish to reduce food waste.
○ Orchard and Outdoor Winter Spa – While touring Hellmann’s Island, guests can take in the scenery, like the most incredible hot springs that are perfect for winter relaxation.
○ Guide’s Cozy Winter Home – Guests who enter here will be greeted by winter warmth. From a festive feast, to holiday décor, the Christmas atmosphere can only be described as merry.
As part of the global initiative to fight food waste, Hellmann’s UK is proud to support organisations and charities such as FareShare, OLIO and the Trussell Trust who are tackling food waste and helping fight hunger. Hellmann’s Foods team have been working with Fareshare and The Trussell Trust for four years. This year, with a guaranteed donation (rather than 5p per pack) Hellmann’s is committed to supporting children in the community and fighting hunger more than ever.
For jumper codes, recipes and tips and tricks on reducing food waste visit: https://www.hellmanns.com/uk/hellmanns-island.html
If you enjoy games and gaming and want more NEWS from the Gaming World Click Here