Ethical hacking group CyberNews has recently uncovered a major data breach involving a hugely popular online MMO game. Over 1.2 million user records from the online game Stalker Online were made available for sale on a hacker forum to the highest bidder – exposing personal data from players.
Two databases were available, containing usernames, passwords, email addresses, phone numbers and IP addresses from users of the MMO game. The data breach exposes the lax security of the game, which is popular with players from all over the world. Shockingly, the data can be used to:
- Facilitate credential stuffing to hack the players’ accounts on other gaming platforms
- Hold players’ game accounts to ransom
- Mount targeted phishing attacks
- Spam the victims’ emails and phones
- Brute-force the change of passwords of the email addresses
If you enjoy games and gaming and want more NEWS from the Gaming World Click Here