Revolution Software is excited to announce it has reunited with legendary comic book artist Dave Gibbons to create Beyond a Steel Sky – the long-awaited follow-up to classic 90’s dystopian cyberpunk adventure Beneath a Steel Sky.
Beyond a Steel Sky will launch in late 2019. It is a thrilling story of loyalty and redemption set in an eery and terrifying world of AI-driven social controls. As can be expected of a Revolution adventure, the tale is woven with the studio’s signature humour, supported by Gibbons’ acclaimed artistic style.
“Even after so many years, fans of the original game are still incredibly loyal and very passionate – and have remained vocal in demanding a sequel” says Charles Cecil, Founder and CEO of Revolution Software. “Adventure games are played by a large, diverse audience that hugely enjoys the interweaving of story and puzzles. Our approach has been to write an intelligent, witty adventure game that is wholly intuitive to play and assumes no prior knowledge of the original game or its universe. We aspire to write a modern day 1984 told through the medium of the adventure game”.
Beyond a Steel Sky is a hugely ambitious adventure in which intelligent, humorous emergent gameplay drives an edgy narrative. Very much an adventure, the game is set in a dynamic, bounded-sandbox world. A unique world that will respond to – and be subverted by – the player’s actions. The game characters, driven by advanced AI tech, are willful and motivated: their intelligent responses allow interesting, emergent solutions to puzzles and obstacles. The culmination of Revolution’s 30 years of developing adventure games, Beyond a Steel Sky evolves and redefines the adventure genre.
It’s a project that’s been on the minds of both Cecil and Gibbons for many years, but one they felt needed the right real world moment to do it justice.
“Charles and I have discussed returning to the Beneath a Steel Sky universe many times over the years. Fake news, social controls, polarized views – the world is confusing – we agreed that now was the right time for Robert Foster to take a trip back to and beyond that Steel Sky,” adds Dave Gibbons. “I am delighted to be working with Revolution again”.
Beyond a Steel Sky will feature:
- A unique, rich game experience in a bounded sandbox world, interwoven with a deep narrative.
- A story that enables players to profoundly affect and subvert the gameworld and its characters.
- Elegantly simple, intuitive controls that allow complex situations to emerge, offering a gameplay experience that will appeal to the novice as well as the experienced gamer.
- Custom-written cutting-edge graphics technology delivers a beautiful, realtime, comic-book-styled world in HDR & 4K to complement the artwork of Dave Gibbons.
- Original comic book vignette to be created by Dave Gibbons.