When the video game Fortnite was initially released, nobody could have predicted the huge amounts of popularity and success the game would have. However, not all success stories can last forever, as a number of gamers from the gaming community have labelled the game ‘dead’.
Interested in this, RantCasino.com wanted to investigate which of 2020’s most popular video games have had the biggest decline in viewership. They did this by looking at peak viewing figures on Twitch from 2020 compared to March 2021.
- Here today, gone tomorrow. Hyper Scape is the game with the biggest decline in viewers.
- Cyberpunk 2077 comes second in the study of popular games that fell off with -1,131,500 less Twitch views compared to last year.
- Of the most popular games from 2020, only two have seen an increase in popularity: Grand Theft Auto V and Minecraft.
- Fortnite has seen a -1,590,000 Twitch viewership decline compared to last year’s peak.
The top 10 most popular games in 2020 that fell off
RantCasino.com can reveal that the most popular game of 2020 with the biggest decline in popularity is Hyper Scape. The futuristic free-to-play first person shooter was labelled ‘the next big thing’ after its initial release, and remarkably the game has seen a -100% Twitch viewing decline.
Coming second on the list of 2020’s most popular games that fell off is Cyberpunk 2077. The game has seen a mammoth -1,131,500 Twitch viewership dip compared to 2020’s peak; it was further voted 2020’s biggest flop with the launch reportedly costing the founders $1 billion. Even Keanu Reeves couldn’t save this one!
Down in third place on the list is FIFA 20. This instalment from EA Sport’s highest selling franchise has rather unsurprisingly seen a -99% viewership decline from 2020, which can largely be attributed to the new release of FIFA 21.
The Last of Us Part II comes fourth with a -98% viewership decline compared to 2020’s peak. Despite winning numerous Game of the Year awards and becoming the fastest-selling PlayStation 4 exclusive, the game was the subject of a review bombing on Metacritic due to the game’s controversial plot and character development arcs.
Completing the top five with a huge -645,500 decline in Twitch viewership compared to last year is Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.
Top five games with the biggest decline in Twitch viewers compared to last year:
- Fortnite: -1,514,000 views
- VALORANT: -1,313,000 views
- League of Legends: -1,182,000 views
- Cyberpunk 2077: -1,131,500 views
- World of Warcraft: -751,000 views
Top five games with biggest increase in Twitch viewers compared to last year:
- Mario Kart 8: +210,700 views
- Grand Theft Auto V: +202,000 views
- Gartic Phone: +155,901 views
- Jackbox Party Packs: +105,000 views
- Roblox: +87,000 views
If you enjoy games and gaming and want more NEWS from the Gaming World Click Here