Digital production company and entertainment studio The Narrative, has revealed The Companion, a membership-based app and website that will uncover the untold stories behind our favourite science fiction franchises across television and film.
With a Kickstarter campaign launched, The Companion will offer a brand-new way for fans to connect with the science fiction stories they love, having assembled a team of expert researchers, writers and artists to bring exclusive interviews, in-depth analysis and original artwork to the platform. Running in 3-month content seasons, Season 1 will feature stories covering the films and shows of the 90s, with themes of robots, AI, CGI and of course, stories from the set.
Who Is Involved?
Season 1 Contributors
- Tade Thompson is a critically acclaimed science fiction author. His novel Rosewater won the Arthur C. Clarke award in 2019, the most prestigious UK award for Science Fiction.
- Tom Hunter, Director of the Arthur C. Clarke Award.
- Bex April May, former MTV International Movies and Gaming Editor. She brings incredible in-depth perspectives in her writing as well as insightful and fun interviews from our favourite stars.
- Hanna Flint, critic and broadcaster featured in Variety, BBC Culture, GQ, Front Row and more. She writes as passionately on the subjects of representation and diversity in the entertainment industry as she does the minutiae of sci-fi franchises.
- Kambole Campbell, freelance journalist who has written for Little White Lies, Empire magazine, and The Independent. He will be bringing his expert knowledge and passion for anime.
- Clarisse Loughrey, chief film critic for The Independent & regular stand-in for Mark Kermode on BBC Radio 5 Live’s ‘Kermode and Mayo’. A regular guest across BBC radio, she has written for BAFTA, GamesRadar, and Little White Lies.
- Katherine McLaughlin, freelance writer and critic for the likes of Sight and Sound, the BFI, Vice, Dazed, The List, Film4, SciFiNow and BBC Radio Scotland, and covers film festivals around the globe including Cannes, Berlin, TIFF and Venice.
Season 1’s Artists
- Mike Collins, storyboard artist for Doctor Who and Good Omens amongst others. He’s also a prolific comic artist for Marvel, DC, and 2000 AD drawing Judge Dredd. Mike is illustrating an original piece for us as a Kickstarter Reward!
- Sam Gilbey, an amazing artist who is illustrating our print for Season 1: the 90s – also available as a Kickstarter reward! Sam is a frequent artist for film studios drawing Alien, The Avengers, Back to the Future, ET, Jurassic Park and more!
- Max Degtyarev will be working with our staff to create an original infographic based on our 90s stories in his unique style.
The Companion will seek to challenge readers with content that explores science-fiction both old and new, to spark imagination, open up conversations, and connect with fellow fans, one franchise at a time.
“Without a doubt, science fiction has broken through into the mainstream. By every box office metric, commissioning budget or streaming figure, it’s the biggest category. Perhaps it’s because of the imaginative worlds, the questions they ask, and the ability to introduce new perspectives and yet, the genre is still perceived as a niche, even a bit weird.
We want to change that by creating a quality platform with a premium user experience. No ads and no clickbait. Just a place to tell rich stories, feature amazing art and bring together conversation in the way the sci-fi community deserves. You have our eternal thanks for taking part.” – Lawrence Kao, CEO, The Narrative
The Kickstarter campaign will run until 28th June with an early-bird tier available now! All members will be able to choose incredible original Art Prints by Mike Collins or Sam Gilbey, in different poster sizes (A3/A2/A1) dependent on the reward tier.
For a full list of backer rewards please visit the Kickstarter page.
The Companion – Official Website: https://www.thecompanion.app/
If you enjoy games and gaming and want more NEWS from the Gaming World Click Here