Members of the Minecraft community are organizing on Twitch to fight the growing problem of food insecurity with wayneradiotv at the helm and No Kid Hungry as the beneficiary. 1 in 4 children are at risk of facing hunger this year due to the coronavirus, putting No Kid Hungry’s promise to ensure every child in America gets connected to healthy food every day top-of-mind for cause-minded gamers.
From Nov. 23 through Nov. 27, Minecraft creators are using their Twitch streams to fundraise for No Kid Hungry, culminating in a 24-hour VR marathon with wayneradiotv as the event host.
“We’re using a survival format,” Wayne says. “I have the day to build up my defenses in the world, and then at night a bunch of lucky community members will enter the server and get the chance to hunt me down. I have to be in VR the entire time.
“And viewers can change what happens in-game with donations. I love this community, but I’m not expecting an easy 24 hours,” Wayne adds, laughing.
A larger cast of streamers–a collection of diverse creators from across the Minecraft community–will play a variety of game types within Minecraft, everything from free build modes to community challenges to battle royale, in the days leading up to Wayne’s marathon. The intention, event organizers explain, is to give supporters the same creative freedom that has made Minecraft so popular over the years.
Community leaders are taking notice as well, donating an assortment of official Minecraft merchandise and matching donations. With contributions still coming in, the event, so far, features the following:
- A $10,000 donation match from Spark Squared, a professional Minecraft build team
- A $2,000 donation match from Rainway, a game streaming service that gives players the freedom to stream their PC library to the device of their choice
- A custom “Corey” skin from Blockception, available for free for a limited time in the popular Galaxite Minecraft server
- 20 Minecraft “Survive” blankets for donation incentives from Jay Franco, a Minecraft merchandiser
- An assortment of builds and maps from Varuna Builds, also a professional Minecraft build team
Viewers can tune into wayneradiotv on Twitch at 12 P.M. EST on Nov. 27 to see his marathon. Viewers can also visit the event’s Tiltify page to donate and to view the other streams supporting the campaign.
If you’re a streamer and would like to participate, please email Kayla (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have your stream officially tied to the campaign.
If you enjoy games and gaming and want more NEWS from the Gaming World Click Here