According to new research from Crucial, the memory and storage experts, only a quarter of Brits take advantage of money-saving, performance-improving hardware upgrades.
Crucial surveyed 2,000 Brits* and the results revealed that 58 percent of Brits don’t know how to perform a simple laptop or PC upgrade and are even scared to do so. Only 27 percent of Brits said they would happily upgrade their PC, leaving the majority (73%) either buying a newer model or living with a slow or poor performing system.
The research revealed a lack of education on what’s inside a PC may be to blame. Over a third of Brits (36%) don’t know what a solid state drive (SSD) is and 10 percent don’t recognise any of the key components of a PC such as the motherboard, power supply unit (PSU), graphics processing unit (GPU), dynamic random access memory (DRAM), and central processing unit (CPU).
Previous research from Crucial established how slow technology frustrates Brits on a regular basis, with one in five (21%) having a temper tantrum once a week, a further fifth (19%) throwing tantrums every couple of days, and 7% kicking off over slow technology every few hours.** This latest research revealed this reluctance to fix PC issues is due to a lack of understanding.
“Slow technology is incredibly frustrating and can lead to a loss in productivity and performance. Instead of splashing out on a brand-new PC, which can be very costly, PC users can extend the life, and improve performance, of their PC through a simple DRAM or SSD upgrade,” commented Jon Tanguy, Crucial Sr. SSD Product Engineer. “Although a hardware upgrade is the most cost-effective way to speed up your PC, the data indicates that Brits are reluctant to upgrade their PC because they don’t know how. Many people feel that upgrading or modifying their computer is a task for computer experts, but this is a common misconception and the problem is easy to fix. Installing new memory or an SSD into your computer takes between 5-15 minutes and to put it simply, if you can operate a screwdriver, you can upgrade the hardware in your PC.”