The real problem with compulsive gamblers is that nobody wants to admit their gambling issues. They think that they behave like the others. Hence, some of them experience gambling issues that may harm their whole life. Controlling the compulsive gambler is not a piece of cake as it requires a lot of courage and patience, support from the loved ones, and professional treatment.
Thanks to the organization like Gamblers Anonymous, the addictive gamblers can be helped to control their impulse to gamble.
Gamblers Anonymous is a community for compulsive gamblers that has the goal along with the UKGC to stop gambling addiction. This group gathers people who want to be free from gambling addiction. Therefore, those who meet this problem are required to be a member of this organization.
The Gamblers Anonymous members share their experience, tips for maintaining their recovery, and other ideas that others may benefit from. This means that the affiliates can support one another by showing compassion, understanding, and comfort towards those who need them.
History of Gamblers Anonymous in the UK
In January 1957, two men met and had a great idea to found a helpful organism named Gamblers Anonymous. And added with the effective advertisement, this group was launched officially on Friday, September 13th, 1957, in Los Angeles, California. Then, a member of Gamblers Anonymous attended a meeting in the Churches Council of Gambling in England in 1964.
Thus, the Gamblers Anonymous movement was also formed in the United Kingdom. Comparing to the action of experienced gamblers who bypass Gamstop system (the National Self-Exclusion Scheme), GA has a slightly different approach to coping with gambling addiction. This organization is aimed to help the problem players at mental health levels without any restrictions for punters.
To exclude yourself from casinos not connected to Gamstop you must contact these casinos manually. Use this list of casinos not on Gamstop to make this task easier to handle.
Features Gamblers Anonymous has two programs: the Unity program and Recovery program.
The quote ‘Unity is strength’ means we have to help one another in our society. And according to Benjamin Franklin, ‘We must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.’ That is the main reason why GA members should maintain to recover from addiction. This unity program is divided into twelve steps such as:
- Personal recovery depends upon GA unity.
- The leaders are trusted servants but do not govern.
- The only requirement for GA membership is a desire to stop gambling.
- Each group shall be self-governing except in matters affecting other groups or GA as a whole.
- GA has one main goal, to carry the message to the addictive gamblers who still experience the gambling issues.
- GA should never endorse, finance or lend its name to any related companies to avoid problems related to money, property, and prestige.
- The member should be self-supporting and decline the outside contributions.
- GA is a non-professional institution but can employ professional workers.
- GA should never be organized but can create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
- GA has no opinion on outside problems so its name should never be used into public controversy.
- GA policy is based on attraction but not on promotion.
- Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of the unity program.
Here are the twelve steps of recovery programs:
- The members admitted that they were powerless over gambling and their lives become uncontrollable.
- They believe that a power greater than themselves could restore them to a normal way of thinking and living.
- They made a decision to turn their will and their lives over to the care of this power of their own understanding.
- They made a searching and fearless moral and financial inventory of themselves.
- They admitted to themselves and to another human being the exact nature of their wrongs.
- They were quite ready to have these defects of character removed.
- They asked humbly God to remove their failings.
- They made a list of all persons they had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- They make direct amends to such people wherever possible except those who would injure them.
- They have made an effort to practice these principles.
- They have continued to take personal inventory and when they were wrong, they quickly admitted it.
- They sought through prayer and meditation to improve their conscious contact with God as they understood Him.
As stated above, Gamblers Anonymous is an organization for the compulsive gamblers who desire to stop gambling or help other addictive gamblers do the same. The members have to follow the 12 steps and fully complete one step before moving to the next one. Together with Gamstop, Gamblers Anonymous is free so the members do not have to pay fees or dues since they are self-supporting through their own contributions.
If you enjoy games and gaming and want more NEWS from the Gaming World Click Here